Metal Braces Cost Solved. Who Else Wants Straight Teeth?
Along the time orthodontics and braces it uses evolved tremendously from classic metal braces to ceramic braces, lingual braces and lately to invisible clear braces. And we are probably not wrong to say the same about the costs associated with these options of correcting the alignment of teeth. Because the first question that pops up when thinking about using braces is the price, which is the metal braces cost or more commonly how much do braces cost a month.
But let’s start with the beginning.
What are braces?
Braces are some sort of appliances that are used in orthodontics mainly for correcting the misalignment of teeth, crooked or crowded teeth, malocclusions, gaps and other issues related to improper alignment of teeth.
The traditional braces are the metal braces as this was the first form of braces used. In few words we are referring to the wires and metal brackets that almost anyone noticed at least once on a person wearing them. They are quite noticeable.
It’s worth mentioning that the metal braces used currently have suffered improvements from those used in the beginnings, they are more aesthetic - thinner, smaller and cause less pain.
Traditional braces proved their efficiency and that’s why they are still used today when tough competitors like invisible braces are present.
Composition of Metal Braces and How They Work
Materials used to produce metal braces need to accomplish two conditions should be strong enough to resist mastication without alteration and to resist corrosion.
Consequently metal braces are manufactured of titanium and stainless steel alloys.
In general metal braces have components as:
- Metal Brackets – this is the visible part, the one that is attached to the teeth. To attach them dentists make use of dental cement.
- Metal Archwires – these are the metallic wires that determine the force applied to the teeth. Initially are used more flexible wires, and their rigidity increases step by step for major alignment issues.
- Rubber Bands or Orthodontic Ligatures – these are the elastics applied to maintain archwires in the right places. Ligatures are replaced each time you have an appointment with your orthodontist and you may choose their color.
A combination of the above mentioned elements is used to correctly realign your teeth. The mechanism is as follows the braces are tightened with the metallic archwires. These wires, more exactly their thickness determines the force that will be applied on teeth to take the correct position.
Periodically, in general at intervals of two-three weeks, you will visit your dentist to adjust the wires and review the process of teeth realigning.
Pros and Cons of Metal Braces
- Metal braces can solve the most complicated cases of teeth misalignment and in general are more effective than the other options
- Metal braces cost is lower compared to invisalign braces cost, for example, or other clear braces cost or clear aligners cost
- Total control on the teeth realignment process
- The treatment with metal braces is usually shorter
- Metal braces are strong and rarely break if you follow closely your dentist’s instructions
- The first days after getting your metal braces you will most probably have difficulties getting used to them, when speaking and eating
- You need to avoid eating hard food or sticky food otherwise you may dislodge your braces and that needs dentist’s intervention
- Impeccable oral hygiene is a must
- Most probably you will have to wear a retainer
- Metal braces are not aesthetic
Metal Braces Cost
Let’s be honest, orthodontic medical care is expensive, most often translates into thousands, and it’s not exactly affordable for the average individual. But that just means you have to search for your best options and plan in advance to benefit from the best solution for you.
Even if they are not exactly appealing or great looking, metal braces are the solution to solve complicated orthodontic problems. And in terms of costs, compared with lingual braces cost, to ceramic braces cost, Damon braces cost or to Invisalign braces cost, metal braces are a cheaper option.
Average cost of braces, and metal braces cost also is impacted by several factors:
- How severe is your teeth misalignment case and which of the existing options is the most effective? Depending on your diagnosis and the personal options available for your case, you will receive several treatment proposals. And the cost will be founded on these.
- Which type of braces would work best in your case and which are your preferences? You may have to choose among metal braces, clear braces, Invisalign braces, ceramic braces, etc
- Which is the length of the orthodontic treatment? The longer the more expensive, obviously.
- Which are the additional dental services needed? Supplementary dental treatments will increase the total cost beyond the cost of braces, these might include permanent retainers cost, gum disease treatment cost, dental scaling cost, teeth removal cost, implantation etc
Orthodontic treatments that realign your teeth may be expensive, but you should perceive them as an investment in your health for the rest of your lifetime.
Unfortunately the notion of cheap braces does not exist, braces have prohibitive costs. Always.
Taking into consideration the high costs of braces, it's worth shopping around, ask several quotations. That will mean consultation fees, as an orthodontist can provide a quote only after examination and diagnosis.
Double check what comprises your quote and which are the services that you need to pay additionally.
Braces cost for teeth varies largely depending on where you live, across regions and from dentist to dentist. And which are the prices that the dentists practice in your area. In rural areas, for example, the average cost of braces per month are sensibly lower than in large cities. The awareness of your dentist or orthodontist will also impact the cost of braces, tooth removal cost, etc.
The final price of metal braces will vary upon many factors, some of them listed above, but for you to have a general idea here are some numbers that might be of help.
A survey made by the American Dental Association (ADA) in 2018 for dental fees indicated that the average cost of braces for adults is placed between $4,800 and $7,135 and the average cost of braces for kids is situated between $4,685 and $6,500.
Metal braces cost in various countries
Take into consideration that this is an average, an estimate:
Metal braces cost in the United States: 3,000 USD to 7,000 USD
Metal braces cost in United Kingdom: 1500 GBP to 3000 GBP
Metal braces cost in Australia: 5000 AUD to 9000 AUD
Metal braces cost in Canada: 3000 CAD to 7000 CAD
How to Cover Metal Braces Costs
Braces costs are not a rest in a pocket, they are pricey and you need to consider all the options you have to optimize this cost. Of course, the first question is if your insurance cover dental treatments like metal braces.
First you have to check with your insurer if your insurance covers orthodontic treatment. Thus the braces cost with insurance, depends on your health insurance or dental insurance if you have one. In general health plans do not cover braces dental cost for adults, but might cover partially cost of braces for kids.
The insurances that cover orthodontic treatments for kids, cover the cost of braces just partially, the most common percentage is 50% and have a lifetime limit of $1500 per child.
You have the possibility to add to your current insurance a supplement for orthodontic treatment.
In case you can use your insurance to cover metal braces costs, be sure not to change the insurance plan during the treatment and do not start the treatment before your policy is effective.
In case your insurance does not cover this type of medical care braces cost without insurance are to be covered from your pocket. Depending on where you live, you may be able to deduct this cost, if your treatment is classified as a medical necessity.
Depending on the severity of your teeth misalignment case you might have at your disposal some more affordable options, if metal braces are not compulsory.
Like for example invisible aligners from EasySmile:
- They are by far more appealing, as they are practically invisible
- Their cost is smaller in most cases than metal braces cost
- They are more gentle with your teeth
- You can remove them when you eat and brush your teeth
- Interproximal reduction (the orthodontics activity that involves removing enamel in between the teeth to help them straighten correctly) is included
Some average costs for EasySmile invisible aligners are:
Invisible aligners cost in USD: 5,410
Invisible aligners cost in CAD: 7,000
Invisible aligners cost in AUD: 7,610
Invisible aligners cost in GBP: 4,270
Some tips to cover braces for adults cost
If you don’t have insurance and you have to cover the cost of metal braces from your own pocket, there are still some options that may be of help.
Here they are:
Check for an orthodontic school clinic in your area. If there is a medical university where you live, there are high chances that apprentices from dental school offer discounted orthodontics services under the supervision of experienced specialists. For US you can find them on the Commission on Dental Accreditation site. Why not profit on their offer?
Payment Plans offered by your dentist’s office. Ask your dentist if they offer payment plans for their patients. There are many dentist offices that partner with financial companies to offer treatment payment plans at an affordable interest rate for patients without insurance. So, there are high chances either for your dentist to offer you such payment plans, either to find one who can offer you this possibility.
Check for Dental Assistance Programs in your area. In the US you can find for sure in your region assistance programs developed by non-profit organizations dedicated to low-income persons. There may also be available grants to cover this type of costs or free clinics lead by dental volunteers. It’s worth also verifying if in your region there are organizations offering free braces for adults.
Be proactive and plan in advance. If you know your teeth need such a treatment check up in advance the teeth straightening cost, the average cost of braces for adults and start to save. If we are talking about your child, in this case the orthodontist will know a couple of years in advance that he/she will need braces. In such case find out which is braces cost for kids and budget accordingly in advance.
Finally the big question remains. Ok, you have misaligned teeth, it’s not exactly great, but when it comes to metal braces, are braces worth it - all this hassle and all this money? Clear and strong YES.
Why? Because your health is priceless. So, no matter the metal braces cost or any other brace that you choose cost, your health, your smile and your confidence deserves all the efforts. Do not hesitate, act! Use Easysmile to get the solution to your teeth misalignment issue now.
Don’t you really want a glamorous smile?